Wednesday 27 April 2011

Madrid

In polish language there is a proverb A life like in Madrid ( which rhymes)- the life of Riley.

The city never sleeps, or maybe it does, but for sure not in the nigh time. Well mid-day siesta is for sleeping, night is for meeting, drinking, partying, enjoying life. I clearly remember when I was studying in Germany a Spanish friend of mine asked me why streets are here so empty. Well, it was winter so I thought it is just too cold, windy, rainy. But just only now I realized what she meant. The calles and avenidas are packed, from the dusk ( with perfectly dressed up grandmas buying a loaf of fresh bread or fish) to siesta and after siesta till the sun rise, bars and cafeterias are always full.

Reina Sofia, Thyssen-Bornemisza, Prado are overwhelming, three top-end museums, almost next door. Frankly you can spend at least one day in each of them.

I discovered pinturas negras by Goya in Museo del Prado. Dark, oppressive, frightening, ugly intense, haunting works...for sure not Goya style. Honestly they remind me more of Francis Bacon than any other Goya's contemporary painter. He executed this works in his seventies!

The Garden of Earthly Delights was my next goal. I learned about this masterpiece from the movie by Lech Majewski (which I sincerely recommend). The triptych is delirious, frenzy and powerful.

Reina Sofia is just stunning, both the collection and the building. My beloved Calder and his mobiles, Picasso's Guernica and the extension of the museum with amazing maze of terraces and rooftops cover by purple semi-open canopy which creates a very unique atmosphere. Nouvel created this cosy and spacious terrace using the simplest elements and tools. Chapeau bas!




Guernica




















Caja Madrid

No comments: